Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Sommerso Technique (Or: Not Your Grandmother's Vase)

While browsing accessories on 1st Dibs today, I came across these amazing Sommerso vases from Murano, Italy.  The shapes are so dynamic, almost like water moving, and the colors are so dramatic and deep.  My interest was piqued, and a quick Google search of the technique led me to here, here, and here. For the curious, I made a list of the basic breakdown of the steps required to make a true Sommerso vase based on my super scientific research:
  • Molten glass of a solid color is set against an even layer of clear glass in order to seal the color and prevent fading into the next layer. 
  • Another layer of glass, either clear or colored depending on the desired result, is added on either side of the colored center to create a sealed, layered effect.
  • Step 2 is repeated until the desired result is achieved.
Famed twentieth century Italian architect, furniture/lighting designer, and glassmaker Carlo Scarpa (1906-1978) created Murano glass as well.  Here are some of his innovative pieces available on 1st Dibs if you'd like to see.


Sources:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Which vase is your favorite?  I think they're all gorgeous, but I'd say this one is my favorite.

*Sommerso in Italian means "submerged."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments only, please.