Friday, January 3, 2014

Time Designed Series, Part 1: Caveman Chic

Let me start by saying this: I'm an art history nerd.  I love learning about history through the lens of art and architecture.  Learning about time periods' creative achievements show how people of that time were interpreting what was happening to them, and designers today can look back and reinterpret what was influencing our ancestors.  How cool is that?  Our past is a gold mine for design inspiration.

To jump off this idea, I'm starting a series called Time Designed, where I'll take great works in art and design history and create mood boards inspired by them.  Think of the possibilities!!  They're endless! Are you excited?  Because you should be!

First up, Paleolithic times:


Sources:

I love how this mood board came out.  My fear was that the palette would feel heavy, unbalanced, and too masculine - you know, too much Fred Flintstone not enough Wilma Flintstone.  But the palette is surprisingly light.  I chose pieces that showed off the inherent beauty of their components, so I stuck with earthy, natural materials like walnut, teak, leather, lamb fur, clay, linen, cotton, and rattan.  I think this really drives home that caveman look, since things like plastic were (obviously) not available in Paleolithic times.  My favorite pieces are the resin tables - they look like contained molten lava and add a lot of drama.

And in case you were wondering, the cave paintings on the bottom, from left to right, are found in the Lascaux Cave in southwestern Francethe Cave of Altamira in northern Spain, and Lascaux again.

Now I'm in the mood for a giant turkey leg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments only, please.